Minute Taking Training
Participants learn how to overcome common obstacles to effective minute writing and gain confidence in tackling the task.
Effective meetings depend on the skill of the minute taker, but the role is often undervalued. These minute-taking workshops give people the knowledge and understanding required in order to provide professional and efficient support to their boards and committees.
Participants learn to:
- Prepare for and service meetings efficiently.
- Use structures and processes to help their committees work more smoothly.
- Get the key information down whatever is happening around them.
- Work effectively with the Chair.
- Translate notes into clear and straightforward minutes and action points using plain English and a logical structure.
Full day (can be split), or half day tailored to cover your top priorities.
Minimum four, maximum twelve.
Who should attend
Those responsible for taking minutes of meetings where the minutes provide a formal record of the organisation’s decisions. This will typically be within the public and not-for-profit sectors.
Benefits to your organisation
Better minutes mean:
- Clearer and faster communication.
- Time savings for committee members.
- Increased confidence that decisions are accurately recorded.
- Actions completed sooner, through easily-tracked, clearly-defined action points.
Minute Taking Course Outline
The minute-taker’s role
Why the minute-taker is so important.
Understanding the context
What minutes are for, why they matter, legal status.
Types of minutes
Why different types of meeting require different types of minutes and what the options are.
Using agendas effectively
What the various types of agenda are and how effective use of agendas can transform the way a committee works.
How to identify obstacles to effective minute taking, and how to overcome them.
What sections you need to include and why it matters.
Knowing how to minute different types of information
How to record the various types of information, discussions and decisions.
The power of Plain English
What plain English is and how it helps you to write clearly and concisely and avoid ambiguity.
How to present minutes and what might be most appropriate for each committee.
How to take notes that reflect the key points and give you enough information for final minutes.
Summarising and organising
How to translate a lengthy discussion into a logical presentation of the key points.
Understanding how to write action points that lead to actions
Why action points are often ineffective and how to solve the problem.
Minute Taking Workshop Prices
One-day workshop: £1100
Half-day workshop: £600
- Discussion about what you want to achieve.
- A programme that takes into account your goals plus the needs of the specific group as assessed via samples of participants’ own writing and a pre-course survey. No time wasted on points everyone already understands.
- Pre-course preparation activities for participants, to kick-start the thinking process.
- Printed course manuals.
- Feedback to course organiser.
Expenses will be kept to a minimum and charged at cost. No charge for travel time within the UK. I will provide a best estimate of total expenses before you commit to a course.