Business Report Writing
In-house report writing training courses showing participants how to write clear and informative reports that are both easy to read and quick to digest.
Suitable for people at all levels in an organisation, this workshop explores the principles of effective communication and introduces specific tools and techniques that will help participants improve each and every report they write.
Participants learn to:
- Prepare and plan.
- Structure reports for clarity and coherence.
- Use clear and straightforward language.
- Spot and avoid common communication pitfalls.
- Meet the needs of the reader.
Full day (can be split), or half day tailored to cover your top priorities.
Up to twelve.
Who should attend
Anyone responsible for producing written reports for managers, committees and clients.
Benefits to your organisation
Better reports mean:
- Time savings – less time wasted struggling to decipher meaning.
- Faster project progress and better decisions – information is clear and easy to act on.
- More good ideas put into practice– well-written reports are more likely to convince others to take up recommendations.
- Greater transparency and trust – clear and straightforward documents give clients and colleagues confidence in the writer and the organisation or team.
- Clearer thinking – the process of writing clearly forces you to think clearly.
Business Report Writing Training Course Outline
What it is, why it matters, and how easy it is to get it wrong.
Understanding what business reports are for
Why writing a business report is not like writing a novel.
Why you need to think about what each report is for and what you want to achieve before you even start writing - and how to do it.
Meeting readers’ needs
Who your readers are, what’s important to them, and how you can help meet their needs.
How to understand your own personal approach to writing and find a process that helps you get started, keep going, and meet deadlines.
Why readability matters, how to measure it, how to improve it
The power of plain English
What plain English is and why it is the key to effective communication - especially when writing about complex topics.
Understanding the four stages of report writing
How splitting your work into four stages streamlines the process and produces better results.
How to structure and organise information so readers get the main points quickly and easily.
How to break information up into reader-friendly paragraphs and how to organise the detail within each.
Writing clear and concise sentences
How to spot and sort out a sentence that’s going wrong.
Choosing the right words
Why the more complex the topic, the greater the need for straightforward language.
Checking grammar and punctuation
How to avoid common writing mistakes.
Why accuracy matters, plus essential proofreading tips and techniques.
Business Report Writing Workshop Prices
One-day workshop: £1350
Half-day workshop: £750
- Discussion about what you want to achieve.
- A programme that takes into account your goals plus the needs of the specific group as assessed via samples of participants’ own writing and a pre-course survey. No time wasted on points everyone already understands.
- Pre-course preparation activities for participants, to kick-start the thinking process.
- Printed course manuals.
- Feedback to course organiser.
Expenses will be kept to a minimum and charged at cost. No charge for travel time within the UK. I will provide a best estimate of total expenses before you commit to a course.