Better Business Writing
Training in business writing covering core techniques that will help participants write more clearly and effectively whatever the writing task: internal email, operational or management reporting, customer correspondence, web content and more.
Suitable for people at all levels within an organisation, these workshops examine how to identify what you really want to communicate and how to get that message across. We also - very importantly - look at how to avoid sending out the wrong messages. The programme can be tailored to include work on your own material.
Participants learn to:
- To write in a way that presents a professional image of their organisation and themselves.
- To understand the value and features of plain English.
- To plan and write reader-focused documents that engage with their audience.
- To spot and avoid common communication pitfalls.
- To get their message across first time.
Full day (can be split), or half day tailored to cover your top priorities.
Up to twelve.
Who should attend
Anyone who has to communicate in writing with the public, with colleagues, or with both.
Benefits to your organisation
Train your staff to write better, and you:
- Win more business.
- Get things done more quickly.
- Reduce queries and complaints from customers and contacts.
- Show respect for your readers and gain their trust.
- Reduce misunderstandings and improve relationships.
- Make better decisions
- Present a professional impression.
Better Business Writing Programme Outline
What it is, why it matters, and how easy it is to get it wrong.
Understanding what business writing is all about
Why writing at work is not like writing a novel.
Why you need to think about what each piece of writing is for and what you want to achieve before you even start writing - and how to do it.
Meeting readers’ needs
Who your readers are, what’s important to them, and how you can help meet their needs.
Why readability matters, how to measure it, how to improve it.
The power of plain English
What plain English is and why it is the key to effective communication.
How to get started, keep going, and meet deadlines.
Sorting out structure
How to structure and organise information so readers get the main points quickly and easily.
Choosing the right words
Why some words work better than others, and how to choose the right ones for each piece of writing.
Writing clear and concise sentences
How to spot and sort out a sentence that’s going wrong.
Checking grammar and punctuation
How to avoid common writing mistakes.
Why accuracy matters plus essential proofreading tips and techniques.
Better Business Writing Workshop Prices
One-day workshop: £1350
Half-day workshop: £750
- Discussion about what you want to achieve.
- A programme that takes into account your goals plus the needs of the specific group as assessed via samples of participants’ own writing and a pre-course survey. No time wasted on points everyone already understands.
- Pre-course preparation activities for participants, to kick-start the thinking process.
- Printed course manuals.
- Feedback to course organiser.
Expenses will be kept to a minimum and charged at cost. No charge for travel time within the UK. I will provide a best estimate of total expenses before you commit to a course.